When Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice for Difficult Times by Shambhala Classics
This book has gotten me through several different, incredibly trying times in my life. It puts life into the proper perspective so you can be strong and move forward. I have gifted this book countless times over the years.
I keep it on my nightstand to help me deal with the impermanence that is just part of life.
The beautiful practicality of her teaching has made Pema Chödrön one of the most beloved of contemporary American spiritual authors among Buddhists and non-Buddhists alike. A collection of talks she gave between 1987 and 1994, the book is a treasury of wisdom for going on living when we are overcome by pain and difficulties. Chödrön discusses:
• Using painful emotions to cultivate wisdom, compassion, and courage
• Communicating so as to encourage others to open up rather than shut down
• Practices for reversing habitual patterns
• Methods for working with chaotic situations
• Ways for creating effective social action